Monday, May 6, 2019

Week 6


I read Mr. Natural for this weeks reading. Having a basic idea of what underground comics are like, I was still surprised when I went through the first few pages. The imagery and stylization of the artwork is very whimsical and simple, giving the impression it is a comic meant for children, or at least be consistent in its style with its narrative.  Instead, as I read on, I discovered that the comic covered all sorts of darker and mature topics and visuals. The thing that really shocked me, but I surprisingly appreciated, was the fact and contrast of the gritty and probably offensive content to its companion of cute, stylized cartoon imagery. On top of this contrast, once I was introduced to the comic’s version of a black person, I immediately realized it was not a simple cartoon comic, but rather a commentary and wake up call on the issues plaguing our society and species. It makes a lot of sense to me because of these reasons that such a conscious and intelligent conversation would be underground or “indie” in the realm of entertainment, I think considering today’s culture and climate, these comics could do pretty well or become viral enough to make an impact on the reader’s mentality, which could be a very good thing, as long as it maintains a neutral stance, and uses the same sarcastic method of delivery to point out hypocrisies and issues that need to be addressed. Of course, I realize this may be a oxymoron as the underground comics were only able to come to as a product of harsh or passionate stances.

No comments:

Post a Comment