Monday, May 6, 2019

Week 7


Maus was a really engaging read for me. Just from seeing the illustrations, I was able to identify the inspiration or metaphor for the plot right away. Like every other reader, the first thing I noticed from the art was the fact everyone was depicted as an animal. The Jewish were mice, Germans cats, dogs for Americans, etc. At first, I assumed it was just a gimmick to retell the story of the Holocaust in a more digestible visual representation. Although it might totally be possible, I couldn’t help but think there was a more symbolic reason. So I did some research. As it turns out, it was all very thought out and intentional. Apparently, the reasoning for the Jewish being mice was due to the anti-Jewish stereotypes and portrayal as pests. I also found that there is a German word “mauscheln” derived from”mausche” which is Yiddish, or the Hebrew version, Moscheh, or Moses. The German word, “mauscheln” is a verb that means something like “act like a Jew.” It became apparent Spiegelman had used this metaphor of animals to further his message behind the events of the Holocaust, and the realization made me think much deeper about the comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment